February was the month of Pet Shop Boys‘ intriguing homage to Berlin, Hotspot, which started the month off by entering at number 4, and then stole the top spot from Sparks, holding onto it for the rest of the month. They also did the double, with Dreamland holding onto the top spot for another three weeks and then relinquishing it to Monkey business at the end of the month.
This was also the month when The Beloved saw debut release Where it Is finally hitting the charts, deservedly spending the whole month in the top three. Singles Forever Dancing, If Only, and Grin all performed well, the first of those taking the top of the Catalogue Singles chart and also peaking at number 4 on the main chart.
Otherwise this was generally a month for introspection, with new releases by David Bowie, Marc Almond, and Ben Watt all performing well but failing to shake the acts at the top. Here are the singles from 22nd February:
- Pet Shop Boys – Monkey Business
- The Beloved – Grin
- Pet Shop Boys feat. Years & Years – Dreamland
- Frances Barber & Pet Shop Boys – Musik (Original Cast Recording) – EP
- Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark – Almost
And these were the albums:
- Pet Shop Boys – Hotspot
- The Beloved – Where it Is
- Sparks – Past Tense – The Best Of
- Sparks – Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins
- Hot Chip – A Bath Full Of Ecstasy