This is probably a stupid idea, and by the time you read this, hopefully the rolling lockdowns of the last year and a bit will be over, but I thought it was time for a bit of a diversion. So this month, for the first (and probably last) time ever, I thought we would try the stowaways world cup.
The way it works is this:
- Tomorrow, we’ll hold the draw. 32 teams will participate, made up from the most mentioned artists on this blog (some of the smaller groups and solo artists might “decide” to join together to form spurious teams, but this will be on a case-by-case basis).
- After that, we’ll enter the group stages. The top two teams from each group will progress to the knockout stage in a couple of weeks’ time.
- Each game will get a commentary on this blog. I will throw two dice ten times to decide goals scored. If the first die is an odd number, the goal missed. If it’s even, someone scored. To decide who scored, I’ve got a list of spurious questions such as “how many results come up when you search for their name online”, and whoever is higher is the goal scorer.
- A double six is a foul, which results in either a penalty or a sending off.
- I haven’t quite figured out some of the other rules yet, so we’ll have to see what happens after that.
If this is remotely interesting to you, stay tuned. If not, normal service will resume next month.