I’m afraid this won’t be a huge comeback quite yet, but I did want to check in with everyone. Hope you’re doing well in spite of the current difficulties. Let’s take a look back at the charts for stowaways from back in January.
January saw Pet Shop Boys dominating the singles chart, with Burning the heather grabbing the top spot for one week, and then Dreamland returning for the rest of the month. Decide and Monkey business floated around in the top ten as well. Vince Clarke‘s astonishingly good remix of Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark‘s Almost kept it in the top three for the whole month, and Sparks‘ new 7″ release of Let’s Go Surfing spent the month steadily climbing as well. Both also spent the whole month holding onto the top two of the new Catalogue Singles chart.
Sparks also dominated the album chart, with their wonderful three-disc reissue of 1995’s Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins holding onto the top spot for the whole month, and their new Past Tense singles compilation holding the number two spot. It was a quiet month all round, with Hot Chip holding onto the number three spot as well.
Here are the singles for 18th January:
- Pet Shop Boys feat. Years & Years – Dreamland
- Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark – Almost
- Sparks – Let’s Go Surfing
- Pet Shop Boys – Burning the heather
- Pet Shop Boys – Decide
And the albums:
- Sparks – Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins
- Sparks – Past Tense – The Best Of
- Hot Chip – A Bath Full Of Ecstasy
- Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds – Ghosteen
- The Radiophonic Workshop – Burials in Several Earths