There was a particularly strong list of nominees for this year’s Mercury Prize:
- Aphex Twin – Syro
- Benjamin Clementine – At Least for Now
- C Duncan – Architect
- ESKA – Eska
- Florence + The Machine – How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful
- Gaz Coombes – Matador
- Ghostpoet – Shedding Skin
- Jamie xx – In Colour
- Róisín Murphy – Hairless Toys
- Slaves – Are You Satisfied?
- SOAK – Before We Forgot How to Dream
- Wolf Alice – My Love is Cool
Which is why it’s particularly interesting that the winner was Benjamin Clementine – apparently it’s OK that you probably haven’t heard of him though. Apart from his expertise in dried spaghetti, he does seem to be a strong singer. Is he worthy of beating the likes of Aphex Twin and Róisín Murphy? You can decide that for yourself.