For all its failings, the Mercury Prize remains one of my favourite music awards. It’s always stuck to its guns by only ever having one single prize, and the only real change that’s ever occurred was the increase from ten to twelve nominations.
There are those who have argued in recent years that it has become too commercial, and if anything, this year’s nominations should put paid to any of that nonsense. Here are the twelve choices for 2014:
- Damon Albarn – Everyday Robots
- Bombay Bicycle Club – So Long, See You Tomorrow
- Anna Calvi – One Breath
- East India Youth – Total Strife Forever
- FKA twigs – LP1
- GoGo Penguin – v2.0
- Jungle – Jungle
- Nick Mulvey – First Mind
- Polar Bear – In Each and Every One
- Royal Blood – Royal Blood
- Kate Tempest – Everybody Down
- Young Fathers – Dead
If, like me, you’ve never heard of the vast majority of them, you should head over to the Barclaycard Mercury Prize website and give them a listen. Some are actually quite good.