The Mercury Music Prize, or whatever they’re calling it these days, is one of the best respected award ceremonies. It’s also exactly 20 years old this year. Since the first ceremony back in 1992, pretty much every major artist has been nominated, and a lot of excellent oddities have made it into the running as well.
There are normally twelve nominees every year, and this year’s were:
- Alt-J – An Awesome Wave
- Ben Howard – Every Kingdom
- Django Django – Django Django
- Field Music – Plumb
- Richard Hawley – Standing at the Sky’s Edge
- Michael Kiwanuka – Home Again
- Lianne La Havas – Is Your Love Big Enough?
- Sam Lee – Ground of its Own
- The Maccabees – Given to the Wild
- Plan B – ill Manors
- Roller Trio – Roller Trio
- Jessie Ware – Devotion
Edit: And the winner is: Alt-J.